Christian Löffler Inspiration

One of my discoveries of 2015 was Christian Löffler who has become one of my favourite electronic musicians. He creates wonderful layering ...

One of my discoveries of 2015 was Christian Löffler who has become one of my favourite electronic musicians. He creates wonderful layering of dark melodies and captures my love of dark techno/house music. I quite often find myself listening to his music on repeat late at night, like right now, at 3:30am... ha!

In my last post I shared a sad piano piece I'd been working on. I am still pursuing that project along with a few others but recently I've been going out with my music loving friends to various techno/dance gigs and I've been feeling inspired to try working on a style of music I haven't attempted yet.

I thought Christian Löffler would be an ideal person to take inspiration from for my attempt at dark ambient techno music. When I listen to Löffler I feel like he creates simple melodies and places more emphasis on the creation of the sound/sample to produce the melody with and from there just adds layers. 

At this stage I haven't made any drum patterns/sequences and have just focussed on attempt to create haunting sounds and looping a melody whilst adding layers for emphasis. I have also used the same melody and simply adjusted a few effects, for example adding a 'Dynamic Tube' audio effect to make the core melody sound deeper at 22 seconds into this piece. I'm finding it pretty fun to focus on adjusting sound. I'll hopefully get a chance to use Ableton Push to work on a drum sequence over the next few days and shall post my progress. 

Here is my attempt at taking inspiration from Löffler so far:



As I'm taking inspiration, I'll share what a few of my favourite Löffler tracks have been:


I find all of these to have a somewhat haunting and sad sound, which I feel really connected to and hope to eventually reflect in my own music one day. Another thing I notice with a lot of his music is the use of crackles and ambient noise, which adds a grainy texture to the tracks, so I'll experiment with recording sounds, turning them into samples and adding various effects.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images